Disney Cruise - April 25, 2006

April 25th 2006 - Grand Cayman

There is only one problem with a cruise and that is having a deadline to be back on board. So thinking of this gives limited time as to what to do on location, in a beautiful foreign destination. Many things to do so little time to do it, so Dave and I decided to do an excursion to see HELL, (yes Hell, Grand Cayman for those of you who don't know of its existence), a beautiful Tortoise reserve with many, many sea turtles being born and living the life oh and then the RUM cake factory (Tortuga) YUM!

Hell, Grand Cayman was definitely a tourist trap, but fun. There is a very strange and unusual formation which to me up close looks like black coral. I forget how big in diameter the guide said the formation is so I will only get to show you some photos. Unfortunately we are obstructing most of the black stuff.

This is how they've made it "touristy" however it is still fun to see a sign saying "welcome to hell" now I just have to find a place that says "welcome to heaven" :)
(however I think Hawaii doesn't have to say welcome...)


My fisheye on my digital makes a nice self portrait lens. :)





Behind Dave is the Black formation that brings people to "Hell". muah ha ha ha. uh.. yea... ahem...


Again, it could be old black coral from many, many, many years ago.



Then to the Turtle reserve. This guy was just one in several hundred, I think popping his head out of the water.



and here are the several others swimming along and just searching for food and having fun. Actually in front of us was a little girl (too old to be carrying a pacifier in her mouth, she looked like she was 4 or 5) who was, I believe, grunting to her mother, and out of no where started screaming and crying. Her pacifier had fallen into the water and some poor turtle came up and ate it. I just hope the turtle didn't get sick. That is one way to ween the kid off a pacifier. :)

This was just one section of the reserve. They were actually building more areas for more turtles to expand this great place to bring back the sea turtle and to save some rare turtles.


There was another area with all the baby turtles where you were allowed to pick them up and, well, I just had too. It was difficult.
I was scared I was going to hurt the little fellow. The hand in the photo was someone helping me calm the poor guy. Like a cat they love getting their chin rubbed. I couldn't quite reach the chin because of my angle, the shell kept getting in the way, so the nice guy on our tour did it for me while Dave snapped this shot. I quickly gave him to another person anxious to hold one. Squirmy little fella. :)


These two scenes were at the wrap up of the excursion at the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. Where is the Rum you ask? Uh we ate it... :P We did buy several (I just didn't take photos of the little pentagon gold boxes like I should have - where was my photographer head - uh eating cake people, eating cake... *laugh*)
Chocolate, regular, banana, dark chocolate, pineapple - YUM! SEVERAL other flavors, I mean you name it they probably made the cake.













And this is our SHIP - The Disney Magic. Huge ship isn't it? And the best part I loved was the horn. nothing beats the Disney Magic Horn. So cool! (I know, I am such a kid)




On the way back to our ship we saw a couple of Pirate ships.





As we were waiting for our tenor we met up with Gina and the girls. This is Jordan staring up at our Ship.










And here is Skylar looking as cute as ever. Sporting a new hat! And new braids she got on the beach that day. She is embracing the islands. ;)


We ate at Lumière's for dinner and I believe this was the day Dad, Peggy, Brian, Dave and I went to the piano bar to relax with a nice drink. (jeez - some of these nights run together) This could have also been the night Dave and I Decided to stay up in the cabin to eat and missed the best 80's performance of my Father's life. (We are starting to become the two people who miss the best/funniest moments) :)

Grand Cayman was a beautiful and eventful day. Many things to see, I wish we could have stayed longer for a follow-up - I would have been at the beach eating some RUM cake, relaxing with a cool drink.

Next up - Cozumel - where I learned how much I stink at bargaining.

Til then - have a great night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RatCity Rukkus

Balloons and Dry Lake Bed

October